Sunday, December 27, 2009

Me and college athletics

But I need to get this off my chest.

This situation disturbs me, and unfortunately, it's not the first time. Let's begin with Billy Donovan.

When he announced he was going to coach the Magic, I was saddened. What Gator wasn't? And I was initially elated by his return, before I realized the full impact. He broke his word with the Magic, and I am convinced this is affecting us to this day. How much? I don't know.

And now Coach Meyer. One the one hand, he never broke his word with anyone by actually leaving for another job. But on the other hand, the situation was made to think his health was in serious jeopardy. Granted, the media has a tendency to exaggerate things (putting it mildly). But I honestly hope that he tends to his health and is not just a ploy to get leverage over Foley (as some have insinuated).

I may not be a graduate of UF, but I am concerned with UF's integrity. I am somewhat angered that the head coaches of the Gators' two biggest sports programs have damaged the integrity to some degree. As such, it is not in my best interest to continue supporting the programs while they are associated in any form with the university.

I may get blasted. I may get called a traitor by some (who shall remain nameless), but maybe it's for the best. This maybe the wake up call I need to focus on more important things than investing emotion into a football or basketball game. When the time comes for actual coaching changes, I hope that the Gators hire men who will believe that their word is their bond.

No comments: